3/4 tsp crushed fennel seed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 lbs ground beef (80/20)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med yellow onion sliced – 1/8 inch
8 oz sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup marinara sauce (any brand)
6 slices Provolone cheese
6 Ciabatta rolls split
1. Place a cast iron skillet on the grill and allow to heat.
2. Measure 3/4 tsp of fennel seed and crush with mortar and pestle*.
3. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon, chili powder, Italian seasoning to the crushed fennel and mix well.
4. In a large mixing bowl gently fold the spices into the hamburger meat, being careful not to “overwork” the meat. Separate into 6 equal patties approximately 3/4 inch in thickness. Set aside.
5. Add olive oil to skillet and toss in onions and mushrooms, stir to coat vegetables.
6. Place patties on grill and the bottoms of the 6 Ciabatta rolls.
7. Continue to stir the veggies and watch the bread toast until golden brown. Remove bread and place the remaining 6 tops on the grill to toast.
8. Flip patties and cook until medium.
9. Add sautÃ©ed onions and mushrooms to the top of each patty AS THEY COOK.
10. Add approx. 1/8 cup of marinara to the top of the veggies and place one slice of provolone on top. 10. Continue to cook until cheese begins to melt. Top each burger with the Ciabatta top then pull each burger from the grill and top the pre-toasted Ciabatta to make the burger complete.