Backyard Green Chile Cheeseburgers with Jalapeno Mayo
4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. minced seeded jalapeno chile, 1 Tbsp. for mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. for burgers
12 strips smoked bacon
3 (1/2 inch thick) onion slices
Vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack and brushing onion slices and poblano chiles
3 poblano chiles
2 lbs. freshly ground beef chuck
2 Tbsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
12 thin slices cheddar cheese
6 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
12 thinly sliced tomato slices
1. Finely chop sun-dried tomatoes in processor. Blend in mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. jalapeno chile. Cover, chill and set aside.
2. Preheat a gas grill to medium high.
3. Cook bacon in a griddle/frying pan on grill surface; keep warm and set aside.
4. Run 1 metal skewer horizontally through center of each onion slice. Brush onion slices lightly with vegetable oil to coat. Rub chiles with vegetable oil. Grill onions on grill until softened. Chop onions; transfer to a small bowl. Char chilies on grill until blackened on all sides. Enclose chilies in paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel, see, and chop chilies. Mix into onions. Set aside.
5. For burgers, combine the beef, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt and 1 Tbsp. jalapeno chile in a large bowl. Handle the meat as little as possible; mix well. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions and form into patties. Place the patties on the grill, cover and grill until golden browned on bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn patties and grill just until done, about 5 minutes longer. Top each burger with 2 cheese slices during last minute of cooking. Place cut sides of buns on grill to toast lightly.
6. To assemble burgers, spread some jalapeno mayo on bottom halves of buns, divide chile-onion mixture and place on top of mayonnaise mixture. Top with 2 bacon slices, cheeseburger patty, 2 tomato slices and roll top.