Barbequed Chili Cheese Burger
My inspiration to make this burger is my huge love for my homemade chili. That and the garden is at the end of its season and it gives me opportunity to utilize the fresh goodness of what a half year of hard work has blessed us with.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup sweet red bell pepper diced into ½” pieces
¼ cup sweet onion diced into ½” pieces
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh garlic
¼ cup tomatillo diced into ½” pieces
¼ cup poblano peppers diced fine
½ cup avocado diced into ½” pieces
1 packed cup fresh cilantro chopped coarsely
187 ml. Sutter Home Moscato Wine
1 tsp. chili powder
11 oz. can baked beans (flavored with brown sugar and bacon or any)
½ cup red roma tomatoes diced
5 oz. shredded pizza cheese
5 oz. shredded Romano cheese
2 ½ lbs. GROUND boneless BEEF chuck roast
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. burger spice
6 Kaiser rolls
2 tbsp. softened butter
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat the closed grill to high heat (about 450 degrees), clean and reclose.
2. In an 8 inch cast iron frying pan (or one slightly larger) put 1/3 cup olive oil, onions, red and poblano peppers, tomatillo, garlic, stir once and place on preheated grill. Cook closed 8 minutes without stirring.
3. Stir in avocado, cilantro, chili powder, tomatoes, baked beans and Sutter Home’s Moscato wine and cook 8 minutes, lid closed. Stir only once or twice gently.
4. Take meat and cut long ways down center of loaf. Now cut across 6 even slices. This will produce 12 equal pieces. Take 6 pieces and quickly pat into thick patties. Press large pinch (about 3 tbsp.) shredded cheese and push into center of the 6 patties just created. Now take 6 remaining burger cut outs and lay them on top the cheese baring down and forming six cheese stuffed burger patties. Handle meat as little as possible. Dribble the 2 tbsp. olive oil over the patties and sprinkle hamburger spice on top.
5. After second 8 minute on chili cooking place burgers oil/spice side down on grill. Cook 5 minutes with open grill.
6. Flip burgers divide remaining shredded cheese on each and continue cooking 5 minutes.
7. Butter the inside of the rolls and sprinkle garlic powder on them. Put them on the grill in the last minute burgers are on. Cook till light golden brown.
8. Remove burgers and place them on a platter for 3 minutes to allow juices to lock in. Serve them with ½ cup chili on each cheesy burger and roll!