Big Slab O’ Mango Burgers in a Slightly Asian Style
1 large Mango
3/4 ounce dried, sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, chopped fine
2 tablespoons Tamari (premium soy sauce)
2 teaspoons Chinese Five-spice powder
2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon Asian Sesame oil
1-1/2 pounds freshly ground lean Beef Chuck (12% fat)
1/2 pound ground Pork with some fat
6 Kaiser rolls
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
3 Green Onions, sliced into thin rings, including green portions
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. Peel mango and cut cheeks into 1/4 inch thick slabs. Cover and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine chopped shiitake mushrooms and tamari. Add Chinese Five-spice, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and combine well. Add ground beef and pork and combine loosely with a fork. Form into 6 patties the size of the rolls, making a slight depression in the middle of the patties to compensate for the tendency to bulge during cooking.
4. Brush vegetable oil over grill rack. Grill patties with top closed for 4 minutes; turn and grill 4 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160Âº.
5. During the last 2 minutes of grilling the patties, place rolls cut side down on the grill to toast.
6. To assemble the burgers, spread equal amounts of mayonnaise on bun tops. Lay mango slices on bun bottoms, followed by the patties. Sprinkle with green onion slices. Close with the tops of the rolls and serve.