Bouillabaisse Burgers (With Saffron Mayonnaise & Garlic Crostini
For Marinated Fennel, Tomatoes & Sweet Onions:
(1) 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, if desired, strained
(2) 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
(3) 3 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil
(4) 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
(5) 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
(6) 3/4 cup trimmed, cored fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
(7) 12 thin slices firm vine-ripened medium red tomatoes
(8) 6 large slices peeled sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
For Saffron Mayonnaise:
(9) 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 tablespoon fresh lemmon juice, if desired, strained
(10) 3/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For Bouillabaisse Patties:
(11) 1&3/4 pounds skinless, boneless, red snapper fillets (or any other firm-textured white lean fish) coarsely ground in food processor or chopped into approximately 1/4-inch pieces by hand
(12) 3/4 pound peeled, deveined, large raw shrimp, cut into approximately 1/4-inch pieces
(13) 5 egg whites
1&1/4 teaspoons fresh minced thyme leaves, or 1/2+1/8 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
(14) 1&1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread flakes)
(15) 2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil for brushing over bouillabaisse patties
Garlic flavored olive oil for
brushing on the grill rack, plus about
1/4 cup for brushing the bread slices
(16) 12 slices French bread, approximately 1/2 to 3/4-inches thick
Prepare marinade for fennel,
tomatoes and sweet onions. Whisk lemon
juice and thyme together in a small
glass measuring cup; gradually whisk in
oil. Season with salt and pepepr
to taste. Place sliced fennel in bottom
of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; toss
together with enough marinade to coat.
Push the fennel to one side of the dish.
Arrange tomato slices on the other side
of the dish; pour half the remaining
marinade over the tomato slices,
brushing as necessary to coat. Place
whole onion slices over the tomatoes;
drizzle remaining marinade over all.
Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
In a small bowl, soak saffron
threads in the lemon juice for 20 to 60
minutes. Combine mayonnaise, saffron
liquid and salt and pepper to taste in a
blender until smooth. Cover with plastic
wrap, and chill until needed.
For patties, spread fish and shrimp
evenly over bottom of a 13x9x2-inch
glass baking dish. Gently mix in egg
whites, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
Wearing kitchen gloves, or using a fork,
mix together well. Mix in bread crumbs
(panko) to this mixture to bind
ingredients together. Form into 6 equal
portions; shape into patties to fit the
bread. Brush both sides of each patty
with garlic flavored olive oil. Cover
and chill until needed, at least 30
Preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
When the grill is ready, brush the grill
rack with the garlic flavored olive oil.
Place whole slices of marinated onions
on grill rack; cook until crisp tender,
about 3 minutes each side, or to desired
doneness. Using a large spatula, remove
onions; wrap in a large piece of
aluminum foil to keep warm.
Brush flavored olive oil over both
sides of each bread slice. Place bread
on the outer edges of the grill rack to
toast lightly, turning once, about 2
minutes each side; remove and set aside.
Place the patties on middle of
grill rack; cover, and cook about 2
minutes each side, until patties turn
opaque and just cooked through; do not
To assemble the burgers, spread
saffron mayonnaise (to taste) evenly
over one side of each toast. Layer
mayonnaise coated side of 6 toasts with
a bouillabaisse burger, 2 drained tomato
slices, and about 2 tablespoons drained
sliced fennel. Separate each onion
slice into rings; arrange evenly over
burgers. Top each with remaining toasts,
mayonnaise coated side down.
Makes 6 burgers.