“Brooksby Farm” Apple Burger
1 ½ Delicious apples
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ cup apple cider
½ cup wheat bread croutons, crushed
1 ½ lb 85% ground beef, season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
2 egg whites
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 ½ Tbsp pine nuts
3 Tbsp. apple butter (find in jam section of supermarket)
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, for brushing grill
6 Wheat buns
½ cup applesauce
6 leaves of Bib lettuce
1. Preheat grill on high.
2. Take ½ Delicious apple, peel, core, chop, crush by hand and place in water with lemon juice to keep from browning. Take the other whole apple, unpeeled, cored and slice into six thin slices. Place these in water with lemon juice.
3. In a separate small bowl, place crushed croutons, whisk in cider until croutons are moist. Drain any excess cider.
4. In a medium bowl mix together beef, egg whites, chopped onion, pine nuts, and cidered croutons.
5. Place crushed apple on paper towels to drain and remove excess moisture. Add to beef mixture and lightly mix. Take apple slices and lay on paper towel to drain, set aside.
6. Form beef into 1-inch thick patties.
7. In a small saucepan, melt apple butter until soft, but not runny.
8. Brush grill with vegetable oil.
9. Brush wheat buns with melted apple butter. Grill until lightly toasted. Set aside.
10. Take the ¼ cup apple sauce and put in small pan on grill to warm slightly. Set aside..
11. Grill burgers 2-1/2minutes on each side. After second side is done, flip one more time and add thin apple slice. Continue to grill until apple is slightly heated only.
12. Place Bib lettuce on each grilled wheat bun, add burger, top with warmed apple sauce.