Bubbe & Zayde’S Not Quite Kosher Latke Burger
- 1/4 Cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large red onion, grated
- 4 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 Cup matzo meal
- 2 Pounds russet potatoes, peeled & shredded
- 1/4 Cup canola oil
- 2 Pounds ground beef brisket
- 1 Cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Cup prepared apple sauce (your favorite brand)
- Heat grill to high heat (450 degrees).
- Combine horseradish, sour cream, mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat eggs, then mix in grated onion, 2 Teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and matzo meal. Fold in
- shredded potatoes until everything is well combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet set over medium heat. (Test oil by dropping a tiny amount of latke
- mix in the skillet. If it immediately starts to sizzle, the oil is ready).
- Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoons of latke mixture into the oil and spread to about the size
- of a standard hamburger bun. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until golden, then flip and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Repeat until you have 12 latkes, adding more oil as necessary.
- Divide ground brisket into 6 equal portions and form into hamburger patties. Season with remaining
- salt and pepper.
- Place burgers on the gill and grill 5 minutes per side, until a nice crust has formed and the burgers
- have reached 150 degrees on a meat thermometer. Evenly sprinkle cheese over the burgers and close
- the grill lid for 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- To assemble, place 6 latkes on a platter and spread 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce on each. Top with 1
- burger patty, 2 tablespoons applesauce and the remaining latke.