My inspiration this time stems from our lack of groceries in the cupboard to work with and a distant reminder of the time our family had lead poisoning. Why you may ask about the lead concept. Well it is my understanding one of the few foods you can use to detoxify the blood is peas.That and burger increases the iron level in your body too. So these yummy healthy burgers pack a double punch. 1st they meet and fulfill the desire for something hot and delicious to eat and 2nd they are good for building your blood! Add a satisfying glass of Sutter Home Merlot and this will be just what the doctor ordered!
15 oz. can very young small sweet peas (I used Lesueur.)
19 oz. can green split pea soup
2 tbsp. hamburger spice
0.6 oz. Au Jus flavored gravy mix
4 tbsp. sure jell premium fruit pectin (Youâ€™ll find it next to the jello.)
5 tbsp. Colavita Olive Oil (3 tbsp. 6 tsp.)
2 lbs. ground top round beef (Choose a roast and ask your butcher to grind it. They do it at no charge!)
2 lbs. Colby-jack cheese shredded
6 plain bagels
Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil Heavy Duty
1. Preheat the grill to high heat with lid closed.
2. Prepare 18 in. foil by placing on a flat pan, piercing small holes in it and spreading 3 tbsp. olive oil over it.
3. Open peas and drain juice into a medium cast iron frying pan. Pour soup pan in as well. Stir in 2 tbsp. gelatin and 1 tbsp. of hamburger spice. Open grill and put pan on it in a back corner. Stir gently often.
4. In a large bowl put hamburger, peas, 1 1/3 cup cheese (not packed down), 1 tbsp. of hamburger spice, 1 tbsp. Au Jus and 2 tbsp. sure gel by sprinkling to disperse evenly. Stir ingredients with spoon. Form 6 patties and place on foiled pan.
5. Now slide the foil/ burgers on the grill. Cook 6 minutes with grill open, then flip. Before flipping dribble 1 tsp. olive oil on each. Use a heat proof plastic spatula to prevent foil from tearing. After flipping place 1 tbsp. cheese on top. Cook 6 more minutes with grill open.
6. Stir remaining Au Jus into pea gravy.
7. Remove burgers to platter to rest 3 minutes. Close grill lid and continue cooking gravy for that time and start toasting bagels if desired.
8. After 3 minutes pull gravy off grill and stir in remaining cheese.
9. Serve the burger on a bagel with about 1/3 cup pea gravy on each. Make open face if the bagels are smaller.