Chile Relleno Burgers
1 ½ chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
3 tsp. fresh cilantro
6 T. mayonnaise
9 poblano peppers
Brown paper bag
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
6 T. quesadilla cheese, shredded
6 fresh Kaiser buns
1 ½ cups French’s Original Crispy Onions
1. Remove chipotle peppers from the adobo sauce and chop finely. Finely chop cilantro. Add chipotle and cilantro into a small bowl. Add mayonnaise. Mix with a spoon until spices are evenly distributed. Place in refrigerator for later.
2. Place poblano peppers on grill on med-high heat. Turn periodically when each side is black and the outer skin has bubbled (about 5-10 minutes for each side).
3. Remove peppers from grill and place in a brown paper bag for 5 minutes.
4. Remove peppers from bag. Peel off outer skin of peppers. Remove seeds and stem. Chop into ¼ inch pieces. Separate pieces into two even piles. For ½, place into a small bowl and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
5. To small bowl containing pepper puree, add remaining chopped poblanos, garlic, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt and ground beef. Mix with hands until spices are evenly distributed throughout meat. Form into 6 equally sized balls.
6. Divide cheese into 12 equally sized portions. For 6 of the cheese portions, use 1 ball of ground meat per cheese portion and cover the cheese with the meat. Fashion into a pattie of about ½ inch thick. The cheese should be completely in the center.
7. Place the burgers on the grill on high heat (about 300 deg F). Cook each side for 6 minutes. After the first side cooks and the burger is flipped. Place the remaining portions of cheese onto the cooked side so that it can melt while the bottom side cooks.
8. While burger is cooking, slice buns in half horizontally if they are not pre-cut.
9. During last three minutes of cooking, place buns on grill over low heat cut side down. Cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
10. Remove buns and burgers from grill.
11. Place bottom buns out in a single layer. Top each with a burger, cheese side up. Top each burger with about ¼ c. French’s crispy onions.
12. To top buns, spread about 1T. mayonnaise on cut side of each bun. Place mayonnaise side down for each bun on top of each burger with crispy onions.