Down Island Burgers with Mango Mayo and Grilled Onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced ripe mango
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 4 (1/2-inch thick) sweet onion slices
- 4 seeded sandwich rolls, split
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems discarded
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- To make the mayo, combine all of the ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.
- To make the patties, combine the pork, Sauvignon Blanc, pepper sauce, panko, garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, and allspice in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference — 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium. While the patties are cooking, place the onions on the grill rack and cook until golden brown and crisp but tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble the burgers, place a patty, an equal portion of the mayo, an onion slice, and a generous amount of watercress on each roll bottom. Add the roll tops and serve.