Duck a l’orange Burgers
• 2 lbs ground duck
• 1 cup panko bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoons concentrated orange juice
• 2 teaspoons thyme
• 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 2 teaspoons powdered chicken stock
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1/3 cup concentrated orange juice
• 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 to 4 tablespoons chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon fine julienne of fresh orange zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
Citrus Soy Mayonnaise
• ¾ cup mayonnaise
• ¼ cup concentrated orange juice
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
• 1 large onion cut in half
• 2 Large Oranges Peeled cut into ¼ thick slices
• 6 pieces romaine lettuce
• 6 hamburger buns, split
1. Prepare a charcoal grill for a medium-hot heat, or prepare a gas grill for medium-high heat.
2. While grill is heating: To make the burgers, mix in a large bowl the ground duck, orange juice concentrate and the remaining dry ingredients. Mix well with hands and form into 6 burger patties. Cover and set aside.
3. To prepare the Orange Glaze, mix in a medium size bowl: concentrated orange juice, honey, vinegar, salt, chicken stock, margarine, flour and orange zest. Cover and set aside.
4. To make the Citrus Soy Mayonnaise, combine mayonnaise, concentrated orange juice, honey and soy sauce in small bowl. Stir to mix well, cover and set aside.
5. When coals are ready, pour mixed Orange Glaze into a heat resistant medium sauté pan and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Remove from grill and set aside.
6. Rub half an onion on the grill to prevent patties from sticking.
7. Place burgers on grill and cook 4 minutes.
8. Flip burgers and put a tablespoon of Orange Glaze on the patties, then coat the buns with the mayonnaise and place them to the outer edge of the grill to toast.
9. Cook patties another 4 minutes, just until meat is opaque throughout and until the juices run clear when the patties are pierced in the middle.
10. Remove patties and buns from grill as they are done.
11. To build burgers – on each bun, spread a generous tablespoon of the Citrus Soy Mayonnaise then, put a piece of romaine on top. Place burger on top finish with orange slice. Cover with top of bun and enjoy!
Makes 6 burgers