Eggplant Parmesan Cheeseburger
Olive Oll for brushing grill
1-1/2 pounds ground check containing 15 to 20% fat;
2 eggs slightly beaten;
3 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced;
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds;
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning;
Ground Black Pepper;
1/4 to 1 cup Italian bread crums;
1-1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese;
6 slices 1/4 inch thickness of eggplant; chopped coarsely;
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped;
2 teaspoons kosher salt;
6 small Portabello mushrooms in proportionate to the burger size;
12 slices of mozzarella cheese;
12 slices italian bread;
1 Bottle -16 oz – Ready Made Ragu Sauce or Marinara Sauce.
1. Prepare charcoal grill with cover for medium heat or gas grill for medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 lbs of ground meat, 2 slightly beaten eggs, and minced garlic together thoroughly. Add 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning, ground black pepper approximately 4 to 6 rounds of grinding pepper mill, 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs, and 1-1/2 cups of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Combined thoroughy and adde chopped eggplant and chopped onion to meat mixture. Mix thoroughly. If the texture of the meat has too much liquid and you are haveing trouble getting the burger to hold its shape, gradually begin adding the remaining bread crumbs 1/4 cup at a time for desired burger consistency.
3. Divide the meat mixture into six equal balls. Press each mean ball into a meat patty aapproximately 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of kosher salt generously over both sides of all burgers. Place burgers on prepared grill over medium heat. Cook approximately 7 to 9 minutes on each side or until meat temperature reaches 160 degrees.
4. Grill mushroomss for approximately 6 to 8 minutes on each side. These should be placed on grill at the same time you are grilling the burgers.
5. The last 2 minutes before burgers are done, place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese on each burger and melt. This should take 1 to 2 minuets for cheese to melt with grill lid closeod. At this point, the burgers and mushrooms should be done at approximately the same time. Place burgers and mushrooms in stoneware or over-proof dish and keep warm on grill.
6. Sperad the soften butter on both sides the 12 slices of bread. Place on grill over direct heat for approximately 1 to 3 minutes on each side, cooking just until butter has absorbed and bread slices are lightly toasted.
7. To assemble brush Ragu or Marinara Sauce on one side of each slice of bread. Top with a portabella mushroom and cheeseburger and remaining slices of bread. Serve immediately.