Empanada Burgers with Root Slaw
One of the fondest memories I have from growing up in Chile is the smell of fresh empanadas, and these burgers incorporate all the ingredients that make up a good, fresh empanada (hot pepper, sweet raisins) with wonderful reults on the grill.
2 Tblsp. Colavita oil
2 medium onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chilli
1 chilli pepper-seeded, chopped
3 Tblsp. water
juice of 1 lime
2 Tblsp. honey
1/2 cup mayonnaise, not lght
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 parsnips-peeled, shredded
1 beet-small-peeled, shredded
1 carrot-peeled, shredded
1 daikon radish-peeled, shredded
1/2 rutabaga-peeled, shredded
1 ginger-peeled, grated
2 lbs. ground chuck
1 1/2 cup raisins-seedless, soaked in warm water
1 cup manzanilla olives
1 Tblsp. paprika-Spanish
salt and fresh pepper to taste
6 whole wheat buns
1/2 clove garlic-peeled
Vegetable oil for brushing grill
1. Turn grill on medium high, close
2. In medium frying pan,cook onion, garlic, chilli pepper and spices 3-5 min on high, add water, cover, change to medium, cook additional 3 min. Remove, let cool
3 Root Slaw:
In medium stainless steel bowl, combine lime juice, honey,mayonneise, pepper. Whip with manual or electric whip until uniform. Add root vegetables, toss well, adjust seasoning, cover, refrigerate.
In large bowl, combine ground beef, onion mix, eggs, olives, drained raisins, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well, but don’t overmix. Shape into 6 patties.
5. Brush grill with oil
6. Remove Root slaw from refrigerator
7. Cook 5-7 min. per side for medium.
8. Place buns cut side down on both sides of grill last 2 minutes to toast..
9. Turn grill off.. Remove buns, rub garlic into toasted buns.
10. To assemble
Line up buns, place burgers and equal amount of slaw on each and cover with top.