Enduring Freedom Burgers
1. 2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2. 2 large sweet onions such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, halved and thinly sliced.
3. 2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce.
4. 1/2 bottle dark beer (or alcohol-free beer if in USCENTCOM AOR).
Karzai Spice Mix
5. 1 teaspoon caraway seeds.
6. 1 teaspoon marjoram.
7. 1 teaspoon spicy seasoned salt.
8. 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
9. 1 pound ground chuck.
10. 1 pound pre-cooked spicy smoked sausage link, finely minced.
11. Vegetable oil for brushing on the grill rack.
12. 6 (4 1/2-inch) soft onion rolls, split.
13. Grey Poupon Spicy Brown Mustard.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat both sides of a gas grill to medium-high. To make the Kabul Onions, heat a 10-inch, nonstick, fire-proof skillet on one side of the grill. When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil. After the oil has warmed, but is not burning, add the sliced onions, worchestershire sauce, and dark beer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are carmelized and most of the liquid has evaporated. Reduce heat to low on that side of the gas grill. If using charcoal, remove from the grill and set aside. Add beer as necessary to maintain a moist texture. To make the Karzai spice mix, combine the caraway seeds, marjoram, seasoned salt, and pepper in an electric coffee grinder. Grind until fine. Finely mince the spicy sausage in a food processor. Combine the minced spicy sausage with the ground chuck and Karzai spice mix in a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula to minimize handling the mixture, mix until evenly combined. Divide the mixture into six equal portions and form the portions into patties sized to fit the onion rolls. If using a charcoal grill, return the skillet containing the Kabul onions to one side of the grill. Brush the unused portion of the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5-6 minutes on each side for medium. During the final minutes of grilling, remove the skillet containing the Kabul onions and set aside. Place the onion rolls cut side down on the grill to lightly toast. When the patties are cooked to doneness, remove from the grill, stacking to keep warm. Remove the toasted onion rolls. To assemble the burgers, place one patty on the bottom half of an onion roll. Spread the patty with a thin layer of the Grey Poupon Spicy Brown Mustard. Add an equal portion of the Kabul onions. Add the onion roll top. Repeat for all six burgers. Serve immediately.