Far East 5-Spice Pork Burger with Wasabi Apple Slaw
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons wasabi powder
5 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded golden delicious apple, skinned and cored
1 teaspoon lemon juice and zest each
3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon each black pepper and salt
5- Spice BBQ sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons duck sauce
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon 5-spice powder
pinch red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds freshly ground pork
1 1/2 pounds fresh kielbasa sausage, casings removed
1/2 teaspoon 5- Spice powder
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup duck sauce
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon garlic pepper blend
Weber nonstick grill spray
16 slices Sargento swiss cheese
6 large sesame seed Kaiser rolls
1. MAKE THE SLAW: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and wasabi powder. Shred the cabbage and apple and toss with lemon juice and zest; fold into the mayonnaise/wasabi. Fold in the remaining ingredients; taste and adjust salt and pepper seasoning if necessary. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. MAKE THE BBQ SAUCE: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the BBQ sauce ingredients. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. MAKE THE BURGERS: In a large mixing bowl, gently combine all the burger ingredients until evenly mixed. Use your fingers to separate the Kielbasa sausage pieces. Form into 6 balls and then into 6 patties. Separate the BBQ sauce into 2 SEPARATE bowls; one for serving with the cooked burgers, one for marinating and cooking the burgers. Coat the burgers with BBQ sauce, top and bottom, and refrigerate until ready to grill; cover loosely with plastic. Set aside the other bowl of BBQ sauce; cover with plastic.
4. GRILL THE BURGERS: Heat the grill to high heat then lower to medium-high heat (about 400-450 degrees). Spray the grates with Weber nonstick grill spray. Place the burgers in 2 even rows in the center of the grill. Coat the tops with BBQ sauce, close the lid and let grill for about 8-10 minutes, or until grill marks form. Turn only ONE time. Turn and coat with more BBQ sauce and finish grilling for another 8-10 minutes with the lid closed. Discard the BBQ sauce used to grill and marinate .Cook until the burgers feel firm to the touch but spring back when pressed in the center. Place 2 slices of swiss cheese over each burger and grill with the lid closed just until the cheese melts; about 1 minute. Remove the burgers to a platter and tent with foil to let rest. Cut each roll in half and grill just until lightly toasted, last rolls go on the grill then first ones come off. Watch carefully as they burn FAST.
5. PUT IT ALL TOGETHER: Have a large serving platter ready. Spread each roll top and bottom with BBQ sauce. Place a burger on the bottom of each roll. Place 1/2 cup slaw on each burger; cover with the top of the roll. Serve immediately with the reserved BBQ sauce at the table.