Glazed Gumbo Turkey Burgers with Rings
1) 1/2 (7-oz.) container refrigerated Roasted Red Pepper Dip
2) 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded & fine diced *(See Comments Section)
3) 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette, divided (1/8 cup for Spred & 3 – 4 TBS for Sauce)
4) 15 1/4 oz. container/can Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Soup, divided (Broth & Sollids separated)
5) 1/4 cup plus 1 TBS Mint Sauce, divided (1/4 cup for Sauce & 1 TBS for Burger)
6) 3/4 lb. Andouille Smoked Pork Sausage (4 links), casings removed & meat coarsely cut *(See Comments Section)
7) 1-1/3 lbs. Ground Turkey
8) 2 tsp. Hungrian Paprika
9) 1 tsp. celery salt
10) 1 TBS cornstarch
Water (used as a tool) to prevent burgers from sticking to hands
11) Vegetable Oil Spray (used as a tool) to prevent burgers from sticking to plate/grill basket/grill grate (used in count to be safe not to over run 16)
12) 12 medium slices French brad
13) 1/4 (6 – 8 oz.) bag refrigerated Salad Greens
14) 6 (14-oz.) jar spiced apple rings
15) 12-oz. jar mild banana pepper rings
PREPARE A MEDIUM-HOT FIRE IN A CHARCOAL GRILL WITH A COVER
In a small bowl, combine pepper dip, 1/2 cup of a cucmber hat has been peeled, seeded and fine diced and 1/8 cup Babsamic dressing. Mix well; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve/use.
MINTED BASTING SAUCE
Place a strainer over a medium size bowl. Pour the soup into the strainer allowing the soup liquid/broth to strain into the bowl. Using a spatula or large spoon, press the soup solids against the strainer sides to release as much of the liquid/broth as possible. There should be approximately 1 cup each of soup solids and broth in strainer and bowl respectively. Remove 1/4 cup of both and set aside. Also set aside the soup solids in strainer.
To the bowl holding the soup broth, mix in 1/4 cup of mint syrup and remaining 3 – 4 Tablespoons of Balsamic dressing.
GUMBO TURKEY BURGERS
Place the soup solids (in strainer) in a medium food processor bowl.
Place cut up sausage pieces **(See Comments Section below)in food processor along with the soup solids. Pulse about 8 times at 2 second intervals. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Place ground turkey in food processor bowl along with remaining 1 Tablespoon mint syrup and paprika. Pulse about 5 times at 2 second intervals. Transfer mixture to bowl holding the processed sausage mixture.
In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of reserved soup liquid (Basting Sauce Section), salt and cornstarch. Transfer this to the contents in the food processor bowl. Mix well with hands without over patting. Shape into 6 burger/patties about 4 inches round or slightly larger than the diameter of the bread rounds. To prevent mixture from sticking to hands, splash hands with a little water. Spray a large platter or several plates with oil (to prevent sticking) and place patties on oiled platter/plates to transport to the grill.
With oil, spray 1 or 2 wire grill baskets to coat. Place burgers in basket(s). Brush burgers with sauce. Grill over medium to medium-hot heat for 8 minutes, brushing occasionally with sauce. Turn burgers in basket(s) over and grill basting occasionally for 6 – 8 more minutes, or until desired doneness is reached.
Brush one side of 6 of the bread slices with the cumber-pepper spreaad. Cover that with leaves of greens. Brush the burger(s) again with the basting sauce and place one burger on each covered bread slice. Place an apple ring on top of each burger. Distribute 3 – 4 pepper rings atop the apple rings. At your preference, drizzle on more basting sauce or spread additional cumber-pepper spread on remaining slices of bread. Top burgers with remaining bread slices.