Honey Harissa Kofte Turkish
1. 2 1/2 lb ground lamb
2. 2 medium onion, grated
3. 5 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
4. 2 Ã‚Â½ tbsp of honey
5. 2 tbsp Harissa sauce
6. 4 tsp ground coriander
7. 4 tsp ground cumin
8. 2 tsp ground caraway seeds
9. 2 Ã‚Â½ tsp red pepper flakes
10. 2 1/2 tsp sea salt, fresh ground fine in coffee grinder
11. 1 tsp ground pepper, fresh ground course in coffee grinder
12. 1 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 12 oz tub of Authentic Tzatziki Dip (available at Trader JoeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s)
13. 6 slices of large Vidalia onion
13. 6 Bakery Kaiser roll, fresh baked, sliced and toasted on grill (toasted while meat is resting)
14. Oil for grill
Kofte cooking directions:
Hand-mix all kofte ingredients (this can take up to 30 minutes) and let meat rest for one hour.
Pre-heat grill, approx 15 minutes, toast meat side of bun on grill, watch buns closely for burning, and set aside.
Separate kofte mix into 6 equal portions and mold each portion into a firm patty, approx Ã‚Â½ to Ã‚Â¾ inch thick.
Grill kofte on high heat to sear and crisp outside, then move to medium heat and cook to each individual preference. My preference is medium, approx. 3-4 minutes per side on medium, with lid closed.
Place kofte on bottom bun, cover with tzatziki dip, place slice of onion on top, and then top bun on kofte and enjoy.
Estimated preparation time:
Preparation and mixing of kofte Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 30 + – minutes
Meat resting Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1 hour
Grill pre-heat Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 15 minutes
Grilling Ã¢â‚¬â€œ approx 15 minutes
Kofte build Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 5 minutes
Total time estimate – 2 hours