Kansas City Barbeque Pork Combo Burgers with Barbeque Bean Spread and Piccalilli Slaw
- 1/2 pound good quality honey-baked ham
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
Barbeque Bean Spread
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup chopped good quality honey-baked ham (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bottled dilled pickled cauliflower and sweet red pepper or Italian mixed giardiniera (drained on paper towels before chopping)
- 3/4 cup cored and finely chopped unpeeled Fuji apple
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- 3 cups packaged shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower kernels
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 good quality whole-wheat buns, split
Preheat a gas grill to medium-high, or prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover.
To make the patties, place the ham in a food processor and process until minced. (If you do not have a food processor, use a knife to mince the ham). Combine the onion, sunflower kernels, relish, paprika, and salt in a large bowl, mixing well to combine. Add the pork and minced ham and combine, handling as little as possible. Shape into 6 equal patties to fit the buns. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
To make the spread, whisk together the ketchup, jelly, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, onion powder, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside 1/2 cup of the sauce for assembling the burgers. Combine the remaining sauce, beans, and 1/2 cup ham in a food processor and blend until the beans are mashed. (If you do not have a food processor, use a potato masher to mash the beans. Finely chop the ham. Combine the sauce, beans, and ham). Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
To make the slaw, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, and pepper sauce in a large bowl. Add the pickled vegetables, apple, and onion tops. Stir to combine. Reserve the cabbage and carrot mix and sunflower kernels for later use. Cover and refrigerate.
When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly. Remove the buns from the grill. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4 to 6 minutes on each side for medium.
To assemble the burgers, place equal amounts of the spread on each bun top and bottom. Place the patties on the bun bottoms and slather equally with the reserved 1/2 cup barbeque sauce. Add the cabbage and carrot mix and sunflower kernels to the reserved dressing mixture and toss to coat well. Scoop about 1/3 cup of the slaw onto each patty, and then press the slaw slightly to cover the patties. Add the bun tops and serve.