LZ Wales Burger
1. 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise
2. 1/4 cup French’s spicy brown mustard
3. 2 lbs ground beef sirloin 85% lean +
4. 1 lb beef tenderloin, cut into 1/8″ to 1/4″ cubed pieces
5. 2 tbsp A1 sauce
6. 2 tsp onion powder
7. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
8. 1 tsp white pepper
Feta & Bacon
9. 1 cup sun-dried tomato & basil feta cheese (Niko’s or Athens brand) [2 each, 6 oz packages]
10. 1/2 cup Hormel Premium real crumbled bacon
11. 6 oz regular goat cheese cut into 1/4″ slices (you can use goat cheese crumbles but I prefer tube or brick form)
12. 6 slices regular cut deli provolone cheese
13. wafer thin sliced red onion
14. 2 tomatoes sliced thin
15. green leaf lettuce leafs (6 each)
16. 6 large sliced Kaiser rolls
Mix ingredients 1 & 2 together and refrigerate (Spicy Mustard/Mayo) may be done a day or three ahead.
Mix ingredient numbers 3 – 8 (Burger Mixture) together (best by gloved hand) and separate into 12 equal portions (I find the easiest way is to place the mixture, flattened gently into a large bowl 7″+ diameter and cut into equal pie slices). Take portions and roll into loose balls and set aside.
In a medium bowl, with a fork fluff together ingredients 9 & 10 (Feta & Bacon)
Flatten burger mixture portions (12 total) into patties approximately 5″ in diameter (You can comfortably work six mixture balls at a time on a 17″ x 13.5″ cooking board).
On half the patties leaving a half inch outer border/rim spread 3 tbsp of the Feta & Bacon mixture.
Place 1oz of goat cheese (#11) [4-5 quarter size pieces] on top of the Feta & Bacon mixture patties, working from the center out, spreading/flattening with fingertips as necessary.
Take an undressed patty and place on top of the dressed half and seal ends together pressing gently together forming the burger. Do this with remaining mixture portions and refrigerate covered with plastic wrap for at least 3 – 4 hours to seal meat (will compensate for competition as necessary)
On a medium heat (375 degrees) grill patties in a closed grill on the top rack for 6 minutes, flip and cook covered another 6 minutes. Reduce grill heat to low and flip burgers placing them on the bottom grate and cook covered for 2 minutes, flip and top with a slice of provolone cheese. Place sliced rolls, cut side down on the top grate and cook another 1-2 minutes. Place cooked burgers on grilled bun bottom and top burger with onion wafer, tomato, lettuce leaf and Spicy Mustard – Mayo spread on the top bun. ENJOY!!!