Montana Sweet and Spicy Thai Burger
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 Tbs sesame oil
2 Tbs vinegar
2Tbl red curry paste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 lbs ground beef
1/4 head shredded green cabbage
1/4 head shredded red cabbage
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tbs diced red onion
1/2 diced red tomato
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
6 slices drained pineapple rounds
6 slices swiss cheese
6 onion Buns
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, sesame oil, vinegar, red curry paste, and red pepper flakes. Save 1 Tbs of this mixture for later and add the rest to the ground beef in a large bowl. Mix together thoroughly, cover and return this to the refrigerator.
2. In another bowl combine the two kinds of cabbage. Then, add the 2 Tbs of sugar and salt. Cover this mixture and return to the refrigerator. After 30 minutes the cabbage will be wilted. Remove it from the refrigerator and add the onion, tomato, vegetable oil, red wine vinegar and remaining marinate that you saved before.
3. After the ground beef has sufficiently marinated remove from the refrigerator and make into 6 equal 1/3 pound patties.
4. Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Once grill is sufficiently heated place the patties over the heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes on the first side depending on your grill and how you like your burger cooked. After this time turn the burgers and cook for another 5-7 minutes on the second side. Only turn the burger once. After this turn go immediately to step 5.
5. Immediately after turning the burgers for the first time add the sliced pineapple to the grill. Cook for 2 minutes on each side to bring out the natural sugars in the pineapple. When pineapple has cooked place one slice on top of each pattie and top with a slice of swiss cheese.
6. Place the buns on the grill to toast. When bread starts to brown remove from the grill
7. When cheese has melted 1-2 minutes remove burgers from the grill.
8. To assemble place the pattie on top of the bottom burger bun and them top this with a scoop of the cabbage mixture that we made before. Place the top bun on the stack and enjoy.