Curried Apple Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped tart apple
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 pounds freshly ground chicken
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped tart apple
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 sourdough rolls, split
- Young tender spinach leaves
- To make the mayonnaise, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to blend well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- To make the patties, place the almonds in a small fire proof skillet on the grill. Stir frequently until lightly golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- Combine the chicken, egg white, green onion, and apple in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls. Finely chop the toasted almonds and combine with the bread crumbs and curry powder in a shallow bowl, stirring well. Coat both sides of the patties with the almond mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until the juices run clear when the patties are pierced in the center, about 4 minutes on each side. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble the burgers, decoratively fan several spinach leaves on the bottom half of each roll and top each with a patty and a generous dollop of the mayonnaise. Add the roll tops and serve.