N’Awlins Muffuletta Burger with Jazzed Up Olive Salad, Sweet Red Pepper Jelly Glaze, Caesar Slaw and Provolone Cheese
Jazzed-Up Olive Salad
• 2 cups of jarred olive salad mix
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon TABASCO pepper sauce
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 2 cups romaine lettuce sliced thin
• 1 cup green cabbage shredded thin
• 1/2 cup red onion sliced very thin
• 1/2 cup purple cabbage shredded thin
• 2/3 cup red bell pepper sliced very thin
• 1 clove garlic
• 4 anchovies
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
• 1/2 cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sweet Red Pepper Jelly Glaze
• 1/2 cup roasted sweet red pepper strips (finely diced)
• 10 oz. Jar TABASCO red pepper jelly
• 1 cup bottled chili sauce
• 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon dark molasses
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 1/2 pounds (40 oz.) freshly ground chuck
• 1/2 pound (8 oz.) mild Italian sausage (bulk)
• 1 tablespoon TABASCO pepper sauce
• 1/4 cup chopped green olives
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 6 slices of provolone
• Oil for brushing grill
• 6 good-quality hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls with sesame seeds, split
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
• To make the Jazzed-Up Olive Salad combine the olive salad mix, Worcestershire sauce, TABASCO pepper sauce and red pepper flakes in a bowl mixing well; cover and refrigerate.
• To make the Caesar Slaw, combine the romaine lettuce, green cabbage, red onion, purple cabbage, red bell pepper in a bowl and chill. Prepare the slaw dressing by combining garlic, anchovies, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese in a food processor. On low speed slowly incorporate the Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil until smooth. Refrigerate the dressing. Just before serving, spoon the dressing over the slaw mixture and toss to evenly coat the slaw. Add salt and pepper. Chill the slaw.
• To make the Sweet Red Pepper Jelly Glaze, combine red pepper strips, red pepper jelly, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dark brown sugar, dark molasses, garlic powder and onion powder in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 20 minutes. Glaze should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season the glaze to taste with salt and pepper. Set the glaze aside (it will thicken slightly as it cools).
• For burgers, place ground chuck and Italian sausage in a large bowl in a cold refrigerator for 1 hour prior. Add in TABASCO pepper sauce, chopped green olives, salt and pepper. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Quickly shape beef mixture into 6 round, equally-sized patties. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
• Brush grill rack with oil and place patties on grill, cover, and cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat before turning. Turn patties once gently with a flat spatula and brush with the glaze. Continue cooking and add the sliced provolone to melt and continue cooking until done to preference.
• Meanwhile, brush olive oil on the top and bottom buns. Position buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
• When patties are cooked and cheese is melted, remove from grill, and keep warm while resting.
• To assemble burgers, spread a generous amount of the Jazzed-Up Olive Salad over the bottom sides of the buns. On each bun bottom, add a burger patty with melted provolone. Add a portion of the Caesar Slaw. Brush more of the Sweet Red Pepper Jelly Glaze on the bun tops, cover and serve.
• Makes 6 burgers