Ole Ole Chipotle Burgers
* 1 cup of mayo
* 3 chipotle peppers and 3 tablespoons of adobo sauce from one 12oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce such as La Costena brand. More will be used in the patties.
* 4 avocados
* 1/4 cup finely chopped Vidalia onion (appr. 1/3 of the onion- the rest will be used in the patties)
* 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
* 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
* 1/2 ts salt
* 2 lbs ground chuck
* 2 ts Adobo with pepper all purpose seasoning such as Goya brand
* 3 chipotle peppers and 3 tablespoons of adobo sauce from the can used in the mayo.
* 2/3 thirds of the Vidalia onion used in the avocados, finely chopped in food processor till juices come out. (appr. 1 cup)
* oil for brushing grill
* 6 Kaiser sandwich buns
* 1/2 of a 15oz package Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled
* your favorite Sutter Home wine – whatever amount you want to drink!
Put 1 cup of mayo into a small bowl. Remove 3 chipotle peppers from the can and chop fine, using the seeds and all. If you get a stem, discard. Add peppers to mayo. Remove 3 tablespoons of the sauce from the can and add to mayo.You may have some onions from the sauce, that’s fine, add them too. Mix, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Cut the avocados in half and remove pits. Scoop out the pulp into a pie plate. Add chopped onions, jalapeno and cilantro. Sprinkle on 1/2 ts salt. With a potato masher, smash the avocados till blended leaving some chunks. Stir with a fork to incorporate everything together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the patties, spread the ground chuck out on to a cookie sheet. Sprinkle 2 ts Goya Adobo all purpose seasoning on top of the meat. Remove 3 chipotle peppers from the can used in the mayo. Chop fine, using the seeds, discarding any stems. Add to meat. Remove 3 tablespoons of the adobo sauce from the can and add to meat, using any onions that are in the sauce. Put the 2/3 of a Vidalia onion into a food processor and process to very fine with juices coming out. Add onion with juices (appr. 1 cup) on top of meat. Now mix well and while the meat is still on the cookie sheet, roll into a log. Divide log in half, then each half into thirds. This helps you get 6 equal patties. Form patties. Leave on cookie sheet, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat gas grill to med high.
When grill is ready, brush racks with oil. Cook burgers 5-7 minutes on each side for medium. During last couple minutes of cooking time, add the buns, cut side down on the outer edges of the racks to toast.
To assemble burgers, spread Chipotle Mayo on cut sides of buns. Put a burger on each bottom. Add a dollop of Smashed Avocado on top of burger and flatten slightly. Add some crumbled Queso Fresco cheese, then bun top. Get that glass of wine and enjoy!
Makes 6 yummy burgers