PACIFIC RIM SESAME BURGER
My step-son’s love of fusion cooking and delicate Asian flavors.
2 pounds freshly ground chuck (80/20)
1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh basil, diced
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, diced
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pacific Rim Mayonnaise
3/4 cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
1/3 cup Heinz tomato Ketchup
2 teaspoons creamy style Horseradish sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Oyster sauce
Cashew Butter Lettuce Salad
1/4 cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup Colavita balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup cashews, toasted
12 leaves of Butter Lettuce, torn in half
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing grill rack
6 good-quality sesame buns, split
1. To make patties, combine chuck, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, fresh basil, fresh oregano, salt and pepper, handling as little as possible. Shape into 6 patties to fit the buns. Cover and refrigerate.
2. To make Pacific Rim mayonnaise, whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, creamy style Horseradish, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and Oyster sauce. Cover and refrigerate.
3. To make Cashew Butter Lettuce Salad, in large bowl whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, toasted sesame oil, salt, pepper, toasted sesame seeds, and toasted cashers. Add torn Butter Lettuce leaves and coat well with dressing. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on rack, cover, and cook, turning once until done to preference, 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium. Place the buns, cut side down, on outer edges of grill rack to toast lightly during last 2 minutes of grilling.
5. To assemble burgers, spread equal portions of Pacific Rim mayonnaise over the toasted sides of the buns. On each bun bottom, place a patty, followed by equal portions of the Cashew Butter Lettuce salad, add the top bun and serve immediately.
MAKES SIX SERVINGS