INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
1. 6 ounces bacon (30% less sodium), (about 10 slices, 7″ long), diced small.
2. 8 ounces white button mushrooms, washed, any bad spots removed, and shredded fine in food processor.
3. 1 cup Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon dry red wine.
4. 1/2-cup tomato ketchup.
5. 3/4-cup frozen white pearl onions, shredded fine in food processor.
6. 1 bay leaf.
7. 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme.
8. 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley.
9. 1 teaspoon salt.
10. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
INGREDIENTS FOR PATTIES:
11. 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (90% lean).
1/2 cup sauce (from above).
12. 6 canned pineapple slices (packed in 100% pineapple juice, with no sugar added).
Vegetable oil, for brushing the grill rack and iron skillet.
13. 1/2-cup raw carrot, shredded fine in food processor.
14. 1/2-cup raw celery, shredded fine in food processor.
15. 1/2 cup raw red onion, shredded fine in food processor. HAMBURGER BUNS:
16. 6 (3-1/2 inch) enriched hamburger buns, split, and toasted lightly on both sides on grill just before assembling the burgers.
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THE SAUCE: Brush vegetable oil inside skilled to lightly coat. Place diced bacon in a 7-1/2 inch iron skillet (bottom measurement) over medium-low heat on your grill, and cook until bacon is crispy and fat is rendered (about 8 minutes). Remove bacon pieces to a paper towel, but keep the fat from the bacon in the skillet. Add shredded mushrooms to the bacon fat, and cook over medium-low heat until the mushrooms give off their juices, and then re-absorb their juices, and are tender (about 6 minutes). Add the wine and ketchup to the iron skillet and stir well. Add remaining ingredients (shredded pearl onions, bay leaf, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper). Simmer on low heat 15 minutes, stirring often. When done, remove bay leaf. Add the bacon pieces back in. Makes 2 cups of a thick soupy sauce. Set sauce aside. DIRECTIONS FOR MIXING THE HAMBURGERS: Gently mix the hamburger with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Shape meat loosely into six (6) 1/2-inch-thick patties. Press one (1) pineapple slice into the center of each patty, until the top of the pineapple is flush with the surface. DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING THE PATTIES: Bring temperature of grill to medium-hot for charcoal grill, or medium-high for a gas grill Brush the grill rack with the vegetable oil. Place the patties, pineapple side up, on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium, or until meat is done (160 degrees Fahrenheit), carefully turning once, halfway through grilling, with a spatula. TO ASSEMBNLE THE PINEAPPLE HAMBOURGUIGNON BURGERS: Place 2 Tablespoons of Sauce on bottom of each toasted bun. Next place 2 Tablespoons of Carrot-Celery-Onion Relish on each bun. Next place a cooked beef burger on each bun, pineapple side up. Next place 2 Tablespoons of Sauce onto the top hamburger bun. Squoosh all together and enjoy! Makes 6 burgers