Poor Richard’s Chateaubriand Burger with Bearnayonnaise
1 cup of mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon of dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoons of Sutter Home Chardonnay
1 shallot diced fine
1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon of Sutter Home Chardonnay
6 mushrooms sliced
1 stick of butter (room temperature)
6 slices of Muenster cheese
6 potato rolls
Green leaf lettuce, washed and separated
1. Prepare charcoal fire creating 3 zones of heat by placing most coals in rear of grill, fewer in the middle, and none in the front third.
2. To make the bearnayonnaise sauce, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, tarragon, salt, black pepper, wine and shallot and mix well. Refrigerate sauce until serving.
3. To make the patties, combine chuck, salt, black pepper, and wine in a large bowl. Gently mix and evenly distribute the ingredients throughout the meat. Lightly coat both sides of burgers with butter. Create 6 equal patties.
4. Lay the sliced mushrooms in an open foil packet with 2 pats of butter on the bottom. Cook until tender on medium zone on grill.
5. Place patties in the hot zone, close grill cover and allow to cook 5 minutes. Flip patties, place cheese slice on each, close cover and allow to cook 4 minutes for medium doneness – adjust according to preference. Remove burgers and mushrooms and allow burgers to rest 3-4 minutes before assembling. While waiting, toast lightly buttered potato rolls on the medium zone until golden brown on the bottoms.
6. To assemble burgers, coat both top and bottom of rolls with sauce, place four slices of mushroom on bottom, place patty cheese side up, and finally place lettuce leaf.