Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Zinfandel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons Zinfandel
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 4 round focaccia rolls or onion rolls, split
- 16 arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) fresh goat cheese
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- To make the mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise and the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- To make the spice mixture, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the grilled portobellos, combine the Zinfandel, olive oil, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture in a shallow container and whisk to blend well. Add the mushrooms and turn to coat with the marinade. Set aside.
- To make the patties, combine the beef, Zinfandel, shallots, cumin, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- Drain the mushrooms, reserving the marinade.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties and the mushrooms on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the patties are done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium, and the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Brush the mushrooms frequently with the reserved marinade. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble the burgers, spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls. On each roll bottom, place 4 arugula leaves, a patty, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and a mushroom. Add the roll tops and serve.