1 cup finely chopped deli corned beef or leftover corned beef brisket
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp caraway
1 Tbsp A1 steak sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef at room temperature
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
12 thin slices swiss cheese
18 bread and butter pickle slices
1 can sauerkraut at room temperature, drained and squeezed dry
6 large wheat or pumpernickel buns
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the corned beef, garlic, parsley, dijon mustard, caraway, A1 sauce, salt, pepper, and egg. Mix well. Add the ground beef and gently combine using your hands. Mix only until everything is combined, being careful not to overmix. Divide the meat mixture in half, and then divide each half into equal thirds to make 6 burgers.
2. To form the burgers, I use an empty 8 oz. plastic container that has a raised center in the bottom (from blue cheese, hummus, etc.). Firmly press each portion of meat into the container in an even layer, and then turn the burger out onto a plate and repeat with remaining portions of meat. This creates a 4 1/2 inch round, 3/4 inch thick burger with a perfect divot in the center every time. If you can not find such a container, similar sized burgers can be shaped by hand, just be sure to press an indentation in the center of the patty so the burger will cook evenly as it shrinks.
3. Once all of the burgers are formed, set them aside and heat the grill. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the dijon mustard and mayonnaise, stirring until smooth. Spread the inside of the top of each bun with about 1 Tbsp of the mustard/mayo mixture and set aside.
4. When the grill is ready, grill the burgers over indirect or medium/low heat for about 8 minutes or until the down side appears cooked and grill marks are present. Carefully flip the burgers and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes or until desired doneness.
5. Top each burger with two slices of swiss cheese and leave on the grill just until the cheese begins to melt. Remove burgers to prepared buns.
6. Finish each burger by topping it with 3 bread and butter pickle slices, about 1/4 cup of sauerkraut, and the bun top prepared earlier. Serve warm and enjoy!