Savory Italian Burgers
1/2 cup Sutter Home Merlot
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes not packed in oil
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup freshly grated provolone cheese
1 lb. ground chuck
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper (eyeball it)
12 slices Italian sandwich bread
3 tsps. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Essence of Basil
3 slices smoked provolone cheese
6 slices of jarred garlic and oregano roasted red peppers
6 basil leaves
1. Preheat grill to low.
2. Pour wine into a small saucepan and place on grill. Heat to a boil, approximately 7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, add tomatoes and let stand 20 minutes covered until soft.
4. Turn off grill until further use.
5. Using a mini-chopper, chop onion and basil. Set aside.
6. Grate provolone cheese and set aside.
7. Drain, gently squeeze out extra moisture and chop tomatoes.
8. Mix meat with chopped onions, basil, cheese and tomatoes.
9. Add salt and pepper to meat mixture.
10. Form into 6 burgers.
11. Spray grill with cooking spray and prehat to medium.
12. Grill on medium heat, covered, for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 3 minutes.
13. Grill bread until lightly toasted.
14. Drizzle slices of bread with Colavita Olive Oil.
15. Top each burger with 1/2 slice of provolone cheese.
16. Cook for 1 minute until cheese is melted slightly.
17. Serve burgers on bread and top each burger with a slice of roasted red pepper and leaf of basil.