Savory Sausage And Beef Burger With Basil Pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup minced sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground beef (chuck)
- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 thick slices mozzarella cheese
- 6 brioche hamburger buns, toasted
- 6 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 12 thin slices of ripe tomato
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat for several minutes, until very tender and slightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Combine beef, sausage, onion/garlic mixture, tomato paste and spices and form into 6 large patties.
- Preheat barbecue grill or grill pan until hot.
- Grill burgers over medium heat, approximately 8 minutes per side, or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees.
- Top with cheese and continue cooking until melted, approximately one minute.
- Toast buns and spread 1 tablespoon pesto on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with burger patty and 2 thin slices of tomato, followed by the top bun.
- Serve with Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon.