Smoked Cheddar Chicken Burger with Crany Corn Relish
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (shred with a sharp knife)
1/3 cup prepared cranberry sauce with whole cranberries
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 pounds ground chicken, mixed white and dark meat
1 cup grated smoked mild Cheddar Cheese-such as Tillamook
3 tablespoons Sutter Home California Chardonnay
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (white and pale green parts)
vegetable oil for using on hands and brushing grill rack
6 whole wheat Kaiser rolls, split
1. Preheat gas grill to medium high.
2. In a small bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, and prepared mustard, set aside.
3. Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet on grill rack until hot, add olive oil. Add corn to skillet, lower lid and
cook for 4 minutes, stir occasionally. Stir in onions, salt, and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes. Add
green peppers and cabbage stir, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Pour vinegar mixture in skillet stir, cover
and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid has reduced some. Stir in cranberry sauce and pickle relish.
Heat together for 1 minute and remove from grill.
4. To make patties, combine chicken, grated cheese, Chardonnay, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and
green onion in a large bowl. Handling meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Oil
hands, divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, and form each portion into patties to fit the rolls.
5. When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and
cook, turning once, just until juices run clear when the patties are pierced in the center, about 4 minutes on
each side. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the
rack to toast lightly. Also, place the skillet back on grill for relish to heat.
6. To assemble the burgers, on each roll bottom place equal portions of the corn relish, place a patty on
corn relish and add toasted roll tops and serve.