South of the Border Burger
12 Tbsp Monterrey Jack cheese, softened
6 Tbsp Jalapeno peppers (fresh or from a jar, drained), chopped
1½ lbs 85% lean ground beef, season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
1 small onion, chopped
6 oz Tortilla chips, crushed + Tortilla chips for presentation
3 Tbsp olive oil, for grill; 2 Tbsp for buns
6 wheat buns, brushed with olive oil
1 wedge of Iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced and chopped in quarters
6 Tbsp medium hot salsa, for topping + 8 oz. for presentation
6 dollops (Tbsp) of sour cream
6 Tbsp green onions (or chives), chopped for topping
1. Preheat grill on high.
2. Place softened cheese in a small bowl and mix in jalapeno peppers. Make into 6 approx.1-inch round balls.
3. In a medium bowl, mix beef with onion and crushed Tortilla chips.
4. On a board, divide beef into 6 even amounts; flatten each into a 4-inch square of even height (should be about ½ inch in height).
5. Place each cheese ball on a beef patty, wrap beef patty around cheese ball and make into an even ball, keeping the cheese within the beef ball.
6. Carefully flatten each beef ball into a 1-inch or thicker burger patty. The key is to keep the cheese surrounded and not to worry about the final shape of the patty.
7. Brush grill with olive oil.
8. Grill burgers 2-1/2 minutes each side
9. In the meantime, brush buns with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted. Place 2 lettuce leaves on each bun.
10. Place burgers on lettuce-covered bun, top with salsa and a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle with green onions or chives.