Southwestern Pork Posole Burger
Growing up, southwestern food choices were always a favorite. This recipe marries the ingredients and flavors of pork posole stew with a burger.
1 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
2 strips bacon – diced
1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs
2 Tbsp milk
4 oz can chopped green chilies with juice
1/2 cup roasted red pepper – diced and drained from jar
3/4 cup white hominy
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup French dressing for basting
6 slices pepper jack cheese
12 slices pita flat bread trimmed to squares for “bun”
1/2 stick melted butter
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes-well drained
1/4 cup frozen or canned corn
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 medium to large avocado – cubed
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Add pork burger ingredients in large mixing bowl and with hands combine ingredients. Shape into 6 patties and season with salt and pepper.
2. Combine salsa ingredients.
3. Place burgers on pre-heated and oiled grill. Cook burgers for 5 minutes, baste with french dressing, and then flip burgers. Cook burgers on opposite side for 8 minutes and then baste with remaining french dressing. Flip burgers one last time and cook for additional 5 minutes until done or 160 degrees internal temperature. Remove burgers from grill and top with sliced pepper jack cheese.
4. Add 1 tsp cumin to the melted butter and brush on 1 side of each square pita flatbread. Place each square, melted side down, on the grill for about 1 to 2 minutes per side or until grill marks apparent. Remove bread from grill.
5. Place burgers cheese side down on top of 1 grilled flatbread square and top with avacado salsa. Top burger with another flatbread square and cut burger at diagonal. Repeat with remaining 5 pork posole burgers.
Serve burgers with chilled merlot wine.