SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO BURGERS WITH HONEY TRUFFLE AIOLI, CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND CRISPY SALAMI
My recipe inspiration combines two of my all-time favorites – burgers and sun-dried tomatoes.I developed an incredible burger with layers of many flavors. Thin slices of crisped salami, caramelized onions, honey truffle aioli and a sun-dried tomato pesto gives these beef burgers layers of texture and taste.
1 tablespoon Colavita Extra-Virgin Olive oil
12 thin slices salami
2 tablespoons Colavita Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), chopped
1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup Colavita Extra-Virgin Olive oil
HONEY TRUFFLE AIOLI
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons truffle oil
1 teaspoon honey
2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon TabascoPepper Sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack
8-ounces sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
6 good quality ciabatta or hamburger rolls, split
3 cups arugula
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. For crispy salami, heat oil in a medium fireproof skillet; set on the grill rack. When the oil is hot, add the salami. Cook, until well crisped, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain and wrap in foil.
3. To make onions, heat the oil in same fireproof skillet. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Cover pan with foil and keep warm.
4. To make pesto, place first 8 ingredients into bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Slowly add olive oil and process until completely combined. Transfer pesto into a small bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Set aside.
5. Combine all aioli ingredients in a small bowl; blend well. Cover; set aside and chill.
6. To make the patties, combine ground beef, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it; mix well. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties.
7. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium. During the last few minutes of grilling, top each patty with mozzarella cheese until melted and place rolls, cut sides down, on outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
8. To assemble burgers, spread bottom halves of rolls with pesto and top halves with aioli. Layer on the bottom rolls a patty, equal portions of onions, crispy salami and divided arugula. Top with top halves of rolls, aioli side down. Makes 6 burgers