Sweet and Spicy Thai Burger
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons red curry paste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 lbs ground beef
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded green cabbage
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
6 slices drained pineapple rounds
6 slices swiss cheese
6 onion buns or any other bun of your choice
1. To make marinade: In a mixing bowl whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, sesame oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, red curry paste, and red pepper flakes.
2. Place ground beef in separate bowl and add all but 1 tsp of the marinade to the beef. Mix the marinade in well, cover and set aside in the refrigerator or a cooler to marinade for 1 hr.
3. In a separate bowl add cabbage, sugar and salt. Mix this together well, cover and set in refrigerator. The sugar will draw all of the moisture out of the cabbage and wilt it. This will take about 30 minutes.
4. After beef has marinaded remove it from the refrigerator and make 6 equal 1/3 lb patties.
5. Place the patties on the grill that is set to medium high heat. Depending on how you like your burger cooked and your individual grill you will cook the burgers for 5-7 minutes per side . Only turn the burgers once.
6. While waiting to turn your burgers remove the cabbage mixture from the refrigerator and add vegetable oil, red wine vinegar and and remaining marinade. Mix together and place this mixture back into the refrigerator.
7. After you have turned the burger place each of the 6 slices of pineapple onto the grill over medium high heat. Grill the pineapple on each side for 2 minutes.
8. After the pineapple has grilled for 2 minutes per side remove from grill, place one directly on top of each burger, and top with one slice of swiss cheese. Your burger should have approximately 2 minutes left to cook at this point.
9. Place the onion buns on the grill at this point to toast. Remove when face of buns have toasted to a golden brown.
10. When cheese has melted remove the burgers from the grill.
11. To assemble the burgers place one burger on a bottom toast bun. Top the burger with a generous scoop of the slaw and then with the top bun and serve.