T.O.P.P. (Teriyaki, Onion, Portabello, Provolone) Burger
This burger takes elements and flavors of all of the places that my husband & I have lived.Thick sliced bacon from Iowa, teriyaki marinade from the Pacific Northwest & provolone cheese from Wisconsin. It is one of our personal favorites and we hope you enjoy it as well. Thank you.
2 & 1/4 cups ground beef (85-90% lean)
7 tsps worcestershire sauce
4&1/2 tsps garlic powder
4&1/2 tsps dried minced onion
1&1/2 tsps dried oregano flakes
1&1/2 tsps McCormicks Grill Mates hamburger seasoning (or comparable brand)
6 slices hickory smoked thick sliced bacon (each slice cut into thirds)
2 medium size sweet yellow onions, sliced thin
2 tablespoonsful butter (sweet cream, unsalted)
3 tablespoonsful brown sugar
18 portabello mushroom cap slices
1 tablespoonful butter
8 tablespoonsful Teriyaki, roasted garlic marinade (Lawry’s 30 minute marinade or comparable brand)
1/4 cup white zinfandel wine
6 slices of provolone cheese
4 tsps butter
2 tsps minced garlic
6 Kaiser rolls
1 slice beefsteak tomato each patty
1. Mix together ground beef, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, minced onion, oregano & hamburger seasoning. Form into 6 equal patties about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
2. Place bacon in a piece of aluminum foil & form pocket to enclose the bacon. Make a small slit in the bottom of the foil pocket. Place on grill over medium/high heat until browned & crisp (approximately 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat when done.
3. In a small saute pan over medium heat on the grill, place onions, butter & brown sugar. Saute onions until opaque and then about 5 minute more to carmelize (about 10 minutes total). Remove from heat when done.
4. Remove onions from pan, leaving butter/ brown sugar mixture in pan.
5. Place mushroom caps & 1 tablespoon butter in the same saute pan (in the brown sugar mixture) over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes then add wine. Cook for another 3 minutes & then add teriyaki marinade. Cook for another 4 minutes then remove from heat. Remove from pan & drizzle marinade mixture from pan over the mushroom caps.
6. Place burger patties on grill. Cook over medium/high heat for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
7. After burger is cooked, place 1 slice cheese on each patty. Cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
8. Mix together butter & minced garlic for rolls.
9. Slice each roll in half & equally butter each half.
10. Place on the upper rack of the grill over medium heat(or over low heat on the lower rack) with the buttered side down. Grill about 5 minutes until golden brown.
11. Assemble burger with roll, patty, cheese, onions, mushrooms and bacon.
12. Add tomato slice to the assembled patty if desired.