The Bleu Cabernet
2 T. butter.
3 cloves freshly crushed garlic
3 cups cabernet wine – may substitute red cooking wine if Cabernet is unavailable at grocery store
2lbs ground chuck or ground sirloin
4 T. freshly crushed (not ground or milled) black pepper
freshly ground salt to taste
6 romaine lettuce leaves cut to fit burger
6 oz bleu cheese crumbled
2 vine ripe tomatoes sliced
1 red onion sliced
1. Preheat grill.
2. As grill is heating place medium skillet directly on the grate.
3. Once skillet is hot, add butter and sautee’ garlic for 30 – 60 seconds – just until fragrant- NOT BROWN!
4. Add wine and bring to a steady simmer. At this point either lower the heat or find a cooler spot on the grill and let the wine reduce to a thin, glossy syrup. This process could take 10-30 minutes depending on the heat and variance of an individuals grill. Cooking time tends to be more consistent on a stove. But it’s more fun on a grill!
5. Once wine sauce is prepared, remove skillet from grill using a hot pad, and set aside- close the grill hood to let it reheat.
6. Handling meat as little as possible, divide into 6- 1/3 lb patties approximatley 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press the freshly crushed pepper and salt to taste onto both sides of each pattie.
8. Once grill has reached about 400 degrees, it is time to cook!
9. Place patties on hottest part of grill and cook approximately 4 minutes on each side for ground chuck – about 3 minutes each side for ground sirloin.
*No grill cooks the same or has the same “hot spots” so cooking times may vary from grill to grill.
10. Once cooked build burgers by placing each pattie on the bottom bun and topping in the following order with:
2 ts. wine sauce (made in step 1) – 1 romaine lettuce leaf – 1 oz. crumbled bleu cheese – sliced tomato – sliced red onion-
11. Top it with the bun and serve!!