The Bobotie Burger
1 3/4 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. ground lamb
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbs. butter
1 thick slice of white bread
3/4 cups milk
2 Tbs. apricot jam
2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
2 heaping Tbs. curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
6 brioche hamburger buns
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup major grey mango chutney
1 ripe banana, diced
2 cups mixed field greens
1. Saute the onion in the butter on medium heat in a medium sized saute pan until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Soak the bread in the milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix the beef, lamb, jam, lemon juice, raisins, apricots, curry powder, salt, pepper, beaten egg and the bread soaked in milk by hand until well combined. Make 6 patties.
4. Pulse the almonds and peanuts until coarsely ground in a food processor.
5. Roll the hamburger patties in the ground nuts and place on a baking tray or plate.
6. Grill burgers until cooked to your liking. Meanwhile, mix the chutney and chopped banana in a small bowl.
7. Toast the buns on the grill until golden brown.
8. To assemble burgers, spread mayo on each brioche bun along with the chutney spread. Place burger and lettuce on bun. Enjoy!