2 -3 vine ripe tomatoes – finely chopped
1 bunch fresh basil leaves (3/4 – 1 cup) stems removed and leaves chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2lbs ground chuck
4 tablespoons freshly crushed black pepper
freshly ground mediteranean sea salt to taste
6 burrito size flour tortillas
6 slices deli style provolone cheese
6 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese ( room temp)
1 small red onion thinly sliced
1. Preheat grill
2. In small bowl combine chopped tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and 1/4 t. salt- set aside. (This is the Bruchetta)
3. Handling meat as little as possible, divide into 6 -1/3 lb. patties approximately 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
4. Press 1 teaspoon freshly crushed pepper onto both sides of each pattie, following with freshly ground salt to taste.
5. Once grill has reached about 400 degrees it’s time to cook!!
6. Place patties on hottest part of grill and cook approximately 4 minutes on each side. No grill cooks the same or has the same “hot spots” so cooking times may vary from grill to grill.
7. *Having a small table and a tray with the Bruchetta, tortillas, the cheeses and onion is very helpful- but if unavailable, this step may be done in the kitchen and the final step done back out on the grill!
Once cooked, place one burger at a time on each tortilla – top with provolone slice, one oz. each parmesan – follow with 2 T. bruchetta and sliced red onion – fold tortilla up into 4 pleats around burger.
8. Place “built” burgers pleated side down back on grill about 1 minute each side until lightly toasted.