The Milwaukee Kaiser
Milwaukee is a Mid-Western town that has it roots heavily forged by this countries early German immigrants. Along with their many traditions and hard work the Germans also brought with them many culinary specialties, one of the most famous being the Bratwurst. The alternative burger The Milwaukee Kaiser is a homage to a local specialty with its Bratwurst patty, a spicy mustard mayonnaise, sauerkraut and onions all on a kaiser bun this is as true a Milwaukee original as Harley-Davidson motorcycles and Miller Beer.
The Milwaukee Kaiser:
Mayonnaise 1 half cup
Brown Mustard, a good quality 1 half cup
Parsley, Italian flat leaf, Washed, dried & chopped 2 TBS
Garlic, fresh, minced 1 clove
Caraway seeds, Coarse ground 1 tsp
Oil, Vegetable 1 TBS
Onions, Yellow Sweet, Cut into medium strips 1 large
Butter, sweet 1 oz
Water As needed
Patties, Buns and Sauerkraut:
Bulk, Johnsonville Bratwurst meat 2#
Kaiser burger roll, a good crusty rool 6 ea
Sauerkraut, Franks, Drained 6 oz Drained wt.
1. Pre-Heat gas grill to medium-high.
2. To make the mayonnaise, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, minced garlic, caraway seeds, and chopped parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
3. When the grill is ready: to make the Onions, place a oven safe sauté pan on the grill add the vegetable oil and onions stirring often. If the onions begin to get too dark or stick to the pan add 2 TBS of water at a time as needed. When onions are fully cooked and slightly brown add butter stir and remove from heat keep, in a warm spot until needed.
4. Shape the bulk bratwurst into 6 patties slightly larger than the buns. Place on a plate, loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
5. To make the patties wipe the grill lightly with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, close the grill and cook 6 – 8 minutes flip and cook an additional 6 – 8 minutes until done.
6. Place the buns cut side down on the perimeter of the grill for the last 2 minutes of grilling. Grill only until lightly browned.
7. To assemble the Wisconsin Kaisers, spread the mustard mayonnaise generously on the cut side of the bottom buns. Then on each bottom, place a grilled patty, then place equal portions of the sauerkraut, and equal portions of the caramelized Onions, add the top and enjoy.