Turkey n” Waffle Burger with Maplelized Gumbo Sauce
1) 1 cup (15-oz.) container refrigerated Bacon Tomato Veggie Dip
2) 1 (2-oz.) jar sliced pimientos, drained and chopped
3) 2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder with parsley (1/2 tsp. for bacon spread & 2 tsp. for burgers)
4) 15-1/4 oz. container/can Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Soup, divided (Broth & Solids)
5) 2/3 cup maple syrup, divided (1/3 cup for Maple Sauce & 1/3 cup for Burgers)
6) 14 ounce jar Spiced Apple Rings with syrup (1/3 cup syrup for Maple Sauce & 6 Apple Rings for topping burgers)
7) 3/4 lb. Andouille Smoked Pork Sausage (4 links) casings removed & coarsley cut *(See Comments Section)
8) 1-1/3 lbs. Ground Turkey
9) 1/8 cup green onions, finely chopped
10) 1 tsp. apple pie spice
11) 1 tsp. Hickory Smoked Salt
12) 1 TBS cornstarch
Water to prevent burgers from sticking to hands
Vegetable Oil to prevent burgers from sticking to plate/grill grate
13) 12 frozen waffle rounds (apple-cinnamon orblueberry variety preferred)
14) 1/4 (6 – 8 oz.) bag refrigerated Baby Spinach
15) 4 – 6 ounces sliced Jack cheese
PREPARE A MEDIUM-HOT FIRE IN A CHARCOAL GRILL WITH A COVER
BACON PIMIENTO SPREAD
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup bacon dip, drained & chopped pimientos, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder with parsley. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
MAPLE GUMBO SAUCE
Place a strainer over a medium size bowl. Pour the soup into the strainer allowing the soup liquid/broth to strain into the bowl. Using a spatula or large spoon, press the soup solids against the strainer sides to release as much of the liquid/broth as possible. There should be approximately 1 cup each of soup solids and broth in strainer and bowl respectively. Remove 1/4 cup of broth and set aside. Also set aside the soup solids in strainer.
To the bowl holding the soup broth, mix in 1/3 cup of maple syrup and 1/3 cup of syrup from the spiced apple ring jar. Set aside.
GUMBO TURKEY BURGERS
Place the soup solids (in strainer) in a medium food processor bowl.
Place cut up sausage pieces * (See Comments Section below) in food processor along with the soup solids. Pulse about 8 times at 2 second intervals. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Place ground turkey in food processor bowl along with remaining 1/3 cup maple syrup, green onions, pie spice and remaining garlic powder. Pulse about 5 times at 2 second intervals. Transfer mixture to bowl holding the processed sausage mixture.
In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of reserved soup liquid (Basting Sauce Section), salt and cornstarch. Transfer this to the contents in the food processor bowl. Mix well with hands without over patting. To prevent mixture from sticking to hands, splash hands with a little water. Spread a large platter or several plates with a little oil (to prevent burgers from sticking when transferring them to the grill grate)and place patties on platter/plates.
Brush and coat grill rack with oil. Place burgers on the rack and cover the grill. Brush burgers with maple sauce. Grill over medium to medium-hot heat for 8 minutes, brushing occasionally with the sauce. Turn burgers over once ** (See Comments Section below) and continue to grill, asting occasionally for 6 – 8 minutes more, or until desired doneness is reached.
Top each patty with cheese and an apple ring during final minute or two of cooking.
While the burgers are cooking, place waffles over indirect heat on the grill. Lightly toast about 6 – 8 minutes per side. Wrap waffles in foil to keep warm until ready to assemble.
Brush one side of 6 of the waffles with the bacon-pimiento spread. Cover that with spinach leaves(s). Brush the burgers again with the maple sauce and place a burger on each spinach covered waffle. At your preferece, drizzle on additional bating sauce or spoon on remaining bacon-pimiento spread. Top burgers with remaining waffle rounds