Turkish Delight Hamburger
This burger is a little sweet and salty. The eggplant combined with the bacon and caramelized onions brings a unique flavor to the burger. The red pepper ties all the flavors together to make a great American hamburger.
2 larger onions – cut into strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
1 pound Hormel bacon – cut into half pieces
7 heaping tablespoons flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups Kraft mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pounds beef – make into 1/3 pound patties
2 large red peppers – cut into 1/3 strips (makes 6 strips)
6 onion roll buns
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1. Grill eggplants with skin on for 20 minutes.
2. Cut onion into strips. Place in iron skillet on grill with olive oil and sugar. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions are softened and caramelized. Remove from skillet and place in a bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Keep warm.
3. Cut bacon into half pieces. Place bacon in iron skillet on grill and cook for 20 minutes until crisp. Place on a plate, cover with aluminum foil and keep warm.
4. Remove stem and skin from eggplant. Mash eggplant in a bowl or in a food processor until smooth.
5. Place iron skillet on grill with grease still in pan. Gradually add flour stir about 10 min until smooth. Add eggplant and stir. Gradually add milk to eggplant mixture until thickened. Add mozarella and nutmeg. Stir until smooth. Remove and place in a bowl. Cover with aluminum foil and keep warm.
6. Make 6 hamburger patties 1/3 pound each. Slightly salt each patty. Grill for 20 minutes until done.
7. Wash peppers, take stem off and seeds out. Cut pepper into thirds. This makes six slices. Grill peppers for 15 minutes. Outer skin of pepper will be black. Remove outer skin. Keep warm.
8. Put one tablespoon mayonnaise on each bun (top and bottom). Place buns on grill for 4-5 minutes until slightly browned.
a. bottom bun
c. eggplant puree
e. caramelized onions
f. red pepper
h. top bun