Who Spiked the Hot Brown Burger?
I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky, which is famous for the Kentucky Hot Brown. We are also famous for bourbon, so I decided to marry the two together. I now live in Iowa and am constantly trying to introduce foods from my roots to my friends. This open faced burger has been a huge hit with all my friends and has allowed me to share a little of myself with them.
2 1/4 pounds ground turkey (85/15)
2 links smoked turkey sausage, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, grated with the microplane
pinch fresh cracked black pepper
6 slices thick cut pepperd bacon
1/4 cup Jim Beam Bourbon
10 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup grainy dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
4 splashes tabasco
1/2 stick butter
4 Tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk
4 cups white cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12 pieces garlic Texas Toast cut into burger sized circles
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients. Form into 12 equally portioned patties and set aside.
2. Cut the bacon strips in half and place in a skillet on a grill heated to medium. Cook until crispy about 7-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Combine ingredients 7-11 in a small saucepan. Cut 3 slits in the jalapeno and place in the saucepan. Place on grill over medium heat stirring occasionally until it forms a syrupy glaze.
4. Place butter in a second saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Add the cheese, pepper, and garlic powder. whisk until cheese is melted and sauce has thickened. Set aside.
5. Place the burgers on the grill over medium heat. Flip after about 3 minutes and brush with bourbon glaze. Wait another 3 minutes, flip again and brush with glaze. Allow burgers to finish cooking through, approximately 2 minutes.
6. While burgers are cooking, place toast circles on the grill until charred on both sides. Remove and top with a tomato slice. Place burger on top of tomato. Top with bacon and spoon cheese sauce over top. Serve and enjoy!